In-line skating has increased in popularity because it’s fun . In-line skating is a low impact and easy to learn activity that the whole family can get involved with . You can significantly increase your level of aerobic fitness, muscular strength, muscular endurance and balance through regular in-line skating .
How to Get Started
• Get the right skates . They should fit snugly and comfortably without pressure points . Consider renting skates the first time or two before investing in your own pair .
• Protect yourself with safety gear . Wrist guards, kneepads, elbow pads and a helmet should always be worn . No exceptions, no excuses . They’ll protect you and your children from cuts, bruises and other nasty injuries . Too many in-line skaters of all ages get hurt because they don’t wear safety gear . The speed of the sport, debris on roads and paths and traffic can all pose a danger even if you consider yourself an excellent skater .
• Practise in a safe environment . Start out inside the rental shop, on a flat driveway or holding the hand of a friend who’s not on skates . These are all good ways to get a feel
for the sport .
• once you’re a little more comfortable, find a smooth flat outdoor surface free of traffic and other dangers . An empty parking lot, a schoolyard, a local track or a tennis court are good places to practise your technique .
• Practise the same skating technique you use on ice . Keep your head up, body tall and hips balanced over one foot as you shift your weight . Swing your arms rhythmically from side to side in a controlled manner . Push off with the entire foot not just the toes or legs .
• Learn at least one method of stopping that doesn’t involve landing on your backside . Either use the heel brake or drag one skate sideways . You should be in control at all times,
especially if you progress to skating on roadways with cars and pedestrians .
• Take lessons to learn the basics of proper skating, turning and stopping techniques . Many private organizations, equipment rental companies and municipal facilities offer lessons at a reasonable price . Instructors will even teach you the safest way to fall should it happen . If you feel it coming, remember “the grass is your friend .”
• once you’re proficient on your skates and want to challenge yourself further join an inline skating group, a hockey team, or try skating on your own while stick handling a ball or puck .
• Today’s in-line skates are designed to operate very smoothly and efficiently . If you have a high level of fitness, you may not get a true aerobic workout unless you push yourself to increase your speed and the intensity of the exercise . If you find yourself travelling too fast for comfort but still want to work at a high intensity, try purchasing a weighted vest . It will allow you to skate at a more moderate pace while still maintaining the high intensity of the workout . A heart rate monitor will help you determine if you’re skating within your target heart rate zone